What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 15 17:33:30 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal wrote:

> AFAICT there is no best number. If someone would like to play with it
> and tell us what is more sensible it is utterly trivial to set.
>
> I don't think 1day is a good number - it'll drive some folks insane.

Why? We shouldn't be pushing out updates more than once per day. Right?

> it doesn't hit the network on every operation. And the cache timeout is
> documented in the man page.

Yes, it doesn't hit the network on every operation but that's the
perception. For operations, it does, it isn't always obvious why.  Why
does remove hit the network for example? I would like to see such things
documented somewhere. It is certainly a FAQ. If we had a reference to
point out to users, it would help a lot. Thanks.

Rahul