Installing from Live CD is the new black?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Dec 16 08:05:34 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> Of course it is an important use case. No one is saying DVD installs
>>> are useless. However if you have the bandwith to dload the DVD image
>>> yourself, it is a lot more efficient to dload a live CD and install
>>> from that.
>> No if:
>> - you want a downtime as small as possible.
>
> I fail to see how this is true with a DVD install. But this really

Installing from a DVD your downtime is only during the install from
media, installing from a Live CD the downtime is during the install from
media *and* the yum install of all the applications you need to do the
real work.
What good is a desktop without applications?

> isn't that important as no one is trying to take away DVD installs.

Fortunately no, but a bit earlier in the thread we have seen such wishes.