Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Dec 16 13:01:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:44:16PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Suggestions welcomed.
> >
> > how about not running a full MTA on a laptop/client install... at all?
>
> that would never be changed. So to have a full blown MTA for local
> delivery is overkill for a vast majority of situations. I filed a bug

It is true, but more to the point, full blown MTA can do local delivery
without being started as daemons. So no MTA should be started in the
default case.

That being said using a specific provides for local mail delivery,
like mail(local), such that something lighter than full blown MTAs,
like esmtp+procmail can be used as cronie dependency is a good thing,
but it avoids dependency bloat, not startup time bloat.

--
Pat