leaving fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Dec 16 13:17:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 03:26:17PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> I am leaving fedora (though not EPEL)
>
> Sad...
>
> My use case seems the same as yours, hence I would like to ask you what
> the actual Linux solution you have found for yourself instead? The
> switching to CentOS from (soon unsupported) F8 is a backward step for
> me...

I am evaluating debian unstable currently. Since I don't have a simple
way to boot my computer, I used debootstrap from fedora to bootstrap
the debian system... Debian unstable is not bad, it is refreshing
to be able to administer my computer the way I did it 4 years ago ;-).
Modern packages are also packaged such that it is also possible to have
something more modern, but the lack of integration of modern stuff means
more work on that side. On the plus side, it means that the integration
can go slower which is better for my use case.

I know quite well debian packaging after all those years in fedora
cooperating with debian packagers ;-), but I really dislike it, so
currently I am not doing packages and I am back to installing in
/usr/local and using cpan... Right for my personal computer, but
doesn't scale well.

I had a look at Suse, but there was no community rebuild of their
entreprise spin-off, which was not a proof of a very healthy community.

I use Centos 5 in the labs for computers I administer, I think that I
won't ever switch. But I still don't know what I will use in the future,
Centos 6 or debian stable.

--
Pat