Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:26:29 UTC 2008

Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
>>> that would never be changed. So to have a full blown MTA for local
>>> delivery is overkill for a vast majority of situations. I filed a bug
>> It is true, but more to the point, full blown MTA can do local delivery
>> without being started as daemons. So no MTA should be started in the
>> default case.
>
> With default configuration, only exim can deliver directly. Postfix
> and sendmail need a daemon running or a cron job to actually deliver
> the mail.

But note that (a) the daemon startup can be delayed so as not to impact
bootup time and (b) making sleep/hibernate reliable is what laptop users
need instead of booting all the time anyway because it is much faster if
you can simply close the lid and open it later with all your apps
working as you left them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com