NFS broken by recent Fedora 9 update?

David P. Quigley dpquigl at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Dec 16 15:57:10 UTC 2008

> "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso at gmail.com> writes:
> > In case it was missed, note jkeating's very recent post "Coordination
> > of updates and reading of bodhi comments".
>
> Yeah, that may explain it.  At first I didn't think it was selinux,
> because of the lack of any selinux complaints in my logs.  However,
> looking back to the last boot found
>
> Dec 14 19:21:46 rh2 rpcbind: setgid to 'rpc' (32) failed: Operation not permitted
> Dec 14 19:21:48 rh2 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing rpcbind (rpcbind_t) "setgid" rpcbind_t. For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l 2e7e0f7b-d206-4999-a02c-91bf0cc9d1e2
>
> For anyone who needs a fix right now, I can confirm that reverting
> rpcbind to rpcbind-0.1.4-14.fc9 (the latest prior version I could find
> on the download servers) makes the NFS and AFP problems go away.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

I'm not sure if he fix for this is in the SELinux policy package yet but
if you don't want to revert your rpcbind package this policy module
should be a temporary fix.

policy_module(myrpcbind, 1.0)

require {
        type rpcbind_t;
}

allow rpcbind_t self:capability setgid;

1) Create directory, enter directory, and copy the policy module into
myrpcbind.te in that directory.

2) make -f /usr/share/selinux/devel/Makefile

3) as root /usr/sbin/semodule -i myrpcbind.pp

Dave