Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Tue Dec 16 17:02:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:05:27 +0100
Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:

> Push your kernel patches, so we have a kernel fast boot and

there's nothing left needed for that, 2.6.28-rc has all you need.

> sreadahead.

more tricky; kyle has a cleaned up patch but the fs-devel list tends to
be a black hole ;(

> Persuade our kernel maintainer to compile more modules in
> the kernel.
>
> But, we can't / don't want to drop gnome and most other services, you
> dropped to reach 5 seconds.

it's a total misunderstanding or excuse to claim we dropped services.
Most are started on demand instead. And really, also Fedora could
and should consider being smart about when to start them...

NFS for example should be started on the first mount (trivially
implemented via a post script on the modprobe of the nfs module)

Just throwing in the towel and say "can't do" is how you end up with a
40+ second boot time.

--
Arjan van de Ven 	Intel Open Source Technology Centre
visit http://www.lesswatts.org