Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:40:44 UTC 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>>> Guess where those notifications go?  In /var/spool/mail/root.  Guess
>>> who pops
>>> up a notification on my non-root desktop to notify me that my harddisk is
>>> dying?  Nobody.
>> Ahh, so you've finally identified a problem that needs to be solved.
>> Unless you think the distribution should cater only to people who don't
>> care if their computers work or not?
>
> A problem needing fix was identified at the beginning of the thread.

Waiting for daemon startup before doing something else in the bootup
sequence has a simple solution.  Don't wait.  You don't have to remove
functionality.

> Except
> that you insist on keeping the broken status quo.

The status quo in terms of services is not broken.  Other programs
should be able to assume that a reasonable operating systems includes
mail delivery.

> Things like hardware notifications can much easier be done using HAL and D-BUS
> than using local mail.

Such notifications would not be likely to seen by me as I almost never
sit near the machines where the disks live.  Who gets them if multiple
users are logged in via X or freenx?  Or if no one is logged in at all,
or if X isn't running?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com