What I'm going to do: Was: RFC: Description text in packages

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 21:48:54 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes (hughsient at gmail.com) said:
> >  Personally I think the use of '"', ., *, •, o or ∘ ... are fine, just
> > as long as all the tools are displaying the same non-invisible bytes².
>
> Right, this discussion is going nowhere, and there are a lot of egos in
> play.

Pointed out without other comment.

> This is a spec file description or
> an update description in bohdi.
>
> The following things 'were' fixed:
> - Fix `dave'
> - Fubar update because of "security"
>
> This will be converted by gnome-packagekit into:

> This is a spec file description or an update description in bohdi.
>
> The following things ‘were’ fixed:
> • Fix ‘dave’
> • Fubar update because of “security”

Dumb question. All the complaints I've seen that come in are
about word-wrapping, but your main example is about character
escaping/transliteration. Why not just do the word-wrapping, and
leave it at that? (Note that PK at the moment wordwraps badly,
which causes other issues.)

Bill