Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Adam Williamson adamwill at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 18 03:15:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 19:38 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> Yes, but that's not everything on your system.  Should we add triggers
> for everything you can possibly run?  :)

Up to a couple of years ago, we attempted to do this in Mandriva; doing
a glibc upgrade would trigger a restart of all services.

We gave up doing this when stuff like dbus and hal started showing up,
and restarting all running services started to seriously screw up your
machine. Now we just do what Fedora does, and pop up a warning that says
"reboot your system".

It would probably be possible to have a robust system which really let
you keep the system running for all kinds of upgrade other than a kernel
upgrade, but it would be a hell of a lot of work, and probably not worth
the return on investment in practical consequences (actual time saved
and lives made better by avoiding reboots). It would certainly be
something it would make sense to do at a level higher than any one
distribution. And it would be one of those things that would *never* be
finished: someone would have to spend a substantial portion of his life
(or lots of somebodies spend a small portion) making sure this kept
working.
--
adamw