wxGTK2 -> wxGTK rename without Provides

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Thu Dec 18 14:25:41 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt píše v Čt 18. 12. 2008 v 12:51 +0100:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:09:06 +0100, Dan wrote:
>
> > > For example, in KDE SIG we're telling folks to keep using qt4-devel and
> > > kdelibs4-devel and we have no plans to drop those virtual Provides.
> >
> > The wxWidgets API should be stable over all GUI toolkits used (GTK,
> > Cocoa, X, MSWin, ...). And there were probably some
> > differences/incompatibilities between wxWidgets build against GTK 1 and
> > wxWidgets built against GTK 2, that lead the audacity developers to
> > require the GTK 2 version.
>
> It's the opposite.
>
> The stable release series of Audacity, 1.2.x, is made for the GTK+ 1
> version of wxWidgets. The beta releases have closed the gap and are made
> for and tested with "wxWidgets 2", albeit for quite some time not the very
> latest. Meanwhile the requirement is wxWidgets 2.8.x.
>
> We used to have wxGTK, wxGTK2, compat-wxGTK, compat-wxGTK2, and
> compat-wxGTK26, not just because of Audacity.

Since F-7 there is only one wxGTK package, if I read the old specs
correctly. That corresponds to the release of wxGTK 2.8.0 and the
package was (and still is) built with the wxWidgets 2.4 compatibility
compile-time option enabled.

> IMO, there is no need to keep virtual package names forever.  If a package
> gets renamed after years, the BuildRequires in other packages can be
> adjusted accordingly.
>
> What I'd like to see, however, is that this is done with an announcement
> and not for old branches. Else we offer source rpms with broken Requires.

Here was the old stuff dropped only in rawhide 2 weeks ago, the
changelog lies (s/Nov/Dec/).

But I agree that an announcement must be sent.

		Dan