Memory/filesystem corruption

Robert Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Dec 18 21:57:15 UTC 2008

>> Camilo Mesias wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'm seeing messages like these:
>>>
>>> Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason b0 on CPU 0.
>>> You have some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus.
>>> Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

This message comes from the kernel, from reading cpu port 61H.
It can have different meanings for different motherboards
and vendors, and is rarely adequately documented.  Interesting
discussion here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/969550

For us this error turned out to be the interaction of a pair
of PCI cards.  We regressed a prom on the card, and the problem
vanished.  Basically, the kernel messages won't tell you much.
Assuming the board's OK, it's probably a board - card interaction.

Good luck
-Bob