RPATH vs. libtool 2.2

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:36:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Michal Hlavinka <mhlavink at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to fix some bug in rawhide, but I've ended up with
> libtool/rpath error (again).
>
> without autoreconf OR with autoreconf -f -i -v
>> error: ... contains a standard rpath '/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]
>
> with just autoreconf
>> ../libtool: line 763: X--tag=CC: command not found

It shouldn't be this way, but running bare autoconf is destined to
fail if you use libtool. "autoreconf -iv" is usually the best thing to
do if you need to rebuild the autotools.

> In F-10 autoreconf was working fine, but in rawhide we have now new libtool
> 2.2 and rpath patch was removed.
>
> I've heard some rumours that it's not required with this new shiny libtool
> 2.2 and everything (rpaths) should just work. So my question is: Am I
> missing something? Is there some parameter for configure (or something)
> required?

In my testing, it doesn't seem to work with multilib on newer libtool.
For linux, it guesses that the runtime default search path is /lib and
/usr/lib and then adds stuff it finds in /etc/ld.so.conf. For the
fedora libtool-1.5* packages, there is a patch to handle this:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/libtool/F-10/libtool-1.5.24-multilib.patch?view=markup

However, it's not applied for libtool-2.2*, and I don't see it being
handled upstream.

--
Dan