Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 19 13:19:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 14:38 +0200, Muayyad AlSadi wrote:
> I said
> > 1. provide a patch that make shift-double click opens in a new window
> > 2. upstream the patch
> > 3. make browser mode to be the default because the usability issue is solved
>
> it seems that I was sleeping
>
> 1 and 2 are already done
> so the usability issue is fixed in browser mode
>
> document shift+double click to open in a new window with more emphasis
> and make it the default
>
> why spatial mode was introduced ?
> to make drag and drop easy
Q: Does it?

Yes, on big displays, with very few windows open.

No, on small displays or when having many windows open and when using
virtual screen

Background:
* On my "big desktop" with the "big display", I find spatial mode nice.
Unless excessively opening windows, windows are being place nicely.

* On my netbook, I find "spatial mode" to be "unusable".
Stacks of windows are the norm, wading through them is a nuissance.
Drag'n'Drop is hardly applicable => browser mode.

> the question now does people drag and drop more than they browse [open
> folder to see them] ?
When observing myself: First browsing, then "opening" is the
overwhelming use-case. Drag and Drop is much seldom use-case.

Ralf