Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:26:45 UTC 2008

2008/12/19 Mark <markg85 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand this harsh reaction. Yes, I am the maintainer of
>> natilus, yes I am the primary developer of nautilus for at least the
>> last 5 years. Yes, I am the packager of nautilus in fedora. Yes, I
>> implemented (not invented!) spatial mode in nautilus, for the reason
>> that I think its a good UI model for a file manager, especially one
>> targeted towards non-computer-experts like nautilus.
>
> fine if you target the code to "noobs" (that's what you say nicer
> words) but most of the computer users that use linux know just a
> little more then the average starting computer user.

I prefer the spatial mode of Nautilus to the browser mode, even though
I don't consider myself a noob.

>> The question is, why are you so persistant about pushing your
>> preferences on everyone. You think I'm a fucking nuthole to have picked
>> spatial as the default, yet you think you should decide what the default
>> should be. Thats as much a decision as what I've done and the people who
>> dislike it will write long tirades about how you're a fucking nuthole,
>> how they are gonna leave/fork gnome/fedora etc. Yes, it is possible to
>> have a discussion of what the defaults should be, but it should be a
>> sane one with less emotions, no namecalling, a realization that someone
>> else (who spent many many years working on the piece of software) may
>> have a valid opinion, and a genuine interest in finding out the
>> reasoning behind the various options.
>
> Why am i so persistent.. well because i don't like the default
> behaviour!

Well, I do like the default behaviour! I haven't measured the number
of people doing so, but there certainly are many of those, too.

> and there are thousands if not millions of linux users that
> agree with me. just do a google search on "gnome nautilus spatial
> 2004" and browse through all the comments that you find. the huge
> majority didn't like it back then and still doesn't like it now.

I think there are many users who dislike the spatial mode just because
they have got accustomed to something else. I didn't like it either at
first, but later on wanted to know if there actually was any point in
using it. After all, the designer of the software had set the spatial
mode as the default mode, so there had to be something good in it,
wouldn't it?

There are a lot more things special in spatial mode than just the fact
that opening a folder opens a new window. I like the fact that the
state of each folder is persistent. Every window opens in the same
view that it had when I reopen them. I can have appropriate zoom
levels and views for every directory I commonly use.

There is the downside of a few unneeded windows opening when I happen
to navigate to a previously unvisited part of the filesystem
hierarchy, but I need to do that quite rarely. A few well-placed
bookmarks can also greatly reduce unneeded hierarchy navigation.

> Now
> there is just one big difference. UBUNTU listens to them and uses the
> browser mode along with most other distributions. Fedora somehow has
> to be different and i suspect that's because your the package
> maintainer and dev of nautilus.

Ubuntu does many things that diverge from upstream.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com