Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 01:40:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> It's harder and harder to be part of Fedora's community:
> most requests are shut down in a condescending manner, and
> users are directed on wild goose chases and/or ridiculed.

I'll play.  Here are the rules:
1)This is not a democracy.  Nor is GNOME a democracy.
2)Simply taken votes is by definition not a constructive way make or
prevent a technical change either here in Fedora or in the upstream
GNOME development community.
3)Package maintainers and co-maintainers have significant influence on
default configuration choices and the extent to which they diverge
from upstream's defaults.
4)Disagreements are going to happen and consensus cannot always be reached.

Given all that.....when there are passionate disagreements over how to
do things, exactly what would you suggest we do differently when
having discussions concerning those disagreements?

Here we have Mark and other people disagreeing with choices that have
been made. They are very passionate about their opinion.  The current
maintainers and developers disagree. They've listened, the responded,
they still disagree. So other than not agreeing what did they do wrong
in their responses?  What exactly do leaders in our meritocracy need
to do better when they are compelled to inform people that they
disagree and will not be making the requested change?  What exactly
should have been done differently in the main conversation in this
thread that would have made people feel better about the decision to
not change the default setting to what they believe is reasonable?

I'm not seeing an imbalance in tone in the main conversation over the
browser setting. I see an escalation on both sides.  Dimi, here's what
I know...from long long long experience at manipulating people in
mailinglists for both good and evil intentions. If you want people to
raise their level of discourse on a subject, you have to raise yours
first. If your first post in the brawl is a sarcastic jab, like yours
was, you aren't doing your part to raise that level of discourse and
you pretty much forfeit your moral authority to call people out for
being condescending.

But I said I'd play. So let's play.  What are people doing wrong in
how they are communicating their disagreement?

-jef