[Fedora Update] [stable] rcsslogplayer-13.1.0-1.fc8

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 20 10:32:56 UTC 2008

On 19.12.2008 20:48, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 22:36 +0330, Hedayat Vatnakhah wrote:
>> Sine these updates do not come with many changes, and these packages
>> were stable enough during latest releases, I think these packages will not
>> show any unexpected behavior.
>> But anyway, if you think that it's not appropriate, I will submit them
>> for testing.
> It's up to you to use your best judgment, but you should share that
> judgment with your users in the form of the bodhi notes, so that they
> can understand why you made that decision.

Jesse, I appreciate your efforts. But OTOH I wonder: Is it time for a
"Best practices for package updates" document in the wiki? It for
example could have a sections like "Please only update packages in
releases that are EOL soon if there is a good reason to", "when filing
update requests in bodhi please state some good reasons why you are
shipping the new version as regular update" and similar hints.

I guess above could even be done without FESCo involvement. Or is there
such a document already somewhere and I just missed it?

Further: Maybe some real guidelines for package updating are needed.
Right now some maintainers take care of their packages in a debian-like
way, while others seems to do the follow the "always latest and greatest
everywhere" concept. From a uses standpoint that just confusing imho. A
"this is how it normally should be done" could help.

And yes, of course there always will be reasons to do things different
then the guidelines say now and then. The decision imho still should be
left to the "best judgment" by the package maintainer. But guiding them
a bit might be a good idea.

CU
knurd