[Fedora Update] [stable] rcsslogplayer-13.1.0-1.fc8

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Dec 20 11:55:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:32:56AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Jesse, I appreciate your efforts. But OTOH I wonder: Is it time for a
> "Best practices for package updates" document in the wiki? It for
> example could have a sections like "Please only update packages in
> releases that are EOL soon if there is a good reason to", "when filing
> update requests in bodhi please state some good reasons why you are
> shipping the new version as regular update" and similar hints.
>
> I guess above could even be done without FESCo involvement. Or is there
> such a document already somewhere and I just missed it?

I think that all that could fit on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility

The "Please only update packages in releases that are EOL soon if there
is a good reason to" can go in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility#Maintain_stability_for_users
it could just be another point in the list.

The following could be an additional point in the same section:
"when filing
update requests in bodhi please state some good reasons why you are
shipping the new version as regular update"

> Further: Maybe some real guidelines for package updating are needed.
> Right now some maintainers take care of their packages in a debian-like
> way, while others seems to do the follow the "always latest and greatest
> everywhere" concept. From a uses standpoint that just confusing imho. A
> "this is how it normally should be done" could help.

Isn't
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility#Maintain_stability_for_users
enough?

--