Becoming a co-maintainer. How? (proftpd)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Dec 20 12:17:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 02:08:57AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Okay, so it sounds like FESCo wants to see whether:
> 1) provenpackagers feel comfortable just stepping up and making changes
> after they've done due diligence trying to contact the maintainer.
>
> 2) Whether there will be any hurt feelings on the part of maintainers
> when provenpackagers make changes to their packages.
>
> Since the OP said they have provenpackager and has tried to contact
> thias, I guess it's time to see how these two work out.

It shouldn't work like this, this contradicts Fedora policies.
A policy change is needed if
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages
is to be changed. Currently if thias package is modified for anything
else than what is covered in this policy, and if Ray isn't an
"Experienced packagers" as defined in this document, he shouldn't
entitled to change thias package.

Maybe the idea was to replace "Experienced packagers" by provenpackager
group members? If so it should really be done. And it is not a small
change, because the provenpackagers group is much bigger than the
"Experienced packagers" group (though the SIG stuff allows for
interpretation here, and there could be people considered to be
"Experienced packagers" because they are in a SIG, though they are not
provenpackagers).

Once again when FESCo approve policy changes or new policies FESCo
people should make sure that the changes are documented.

--
Pat