Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Sat Dec 20 14:09:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> 1)This is not a democracy.  Nor is GNOME a democracy.

If there is even on a development mailing list no democracy, why asking the
community to support Fedora? Sorry, but if you think that you don't need
democracy in an open source project you are on the complete wrong track.

[...]
> Here we have Mark and other people disagreeing with choices that have
> been made. They are very passionate about their opinion.  The current
> maintainers and developers disagree. They've listened, the responded,
> they still disagree. So other than not agreeing what did they do wrong

They might have listen but they didn't argue why this setting is in the
package. They simply say, that's what we like and what the majority of users
like (without any given statistics). Fact is, no other bigger distribution
(Ubuntu, SuSE) nor Windows nor Mac OS use spatial view but appreantly this
completly ignored.

> [...]
> disagree and will not be making the requested change?  What exactly
> should have been done differently in the main conversation in this
> thread that would have made people feel better about the decision to
> not change the default setting to what they believe is reasonable?

If you behave different compared to all other I would expect strong reasons
for this decision. I didn't saw this strong reasons yet, maybe I've didn't
saw them.

[...]
> But I said I'd play. So let's play.  What are people doing wrong in
> how they are communicating their disagreement?

They didn't present the strong reason why going a different way.

Regards, Thomas