Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 18:01:12 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> I think the proponents of change do a disservice to their chosen cause
> in choosing the argumentation they have so far.  Trying to coerce a
> change by hammering away with the blunt instruments of populism.  It's
> not going to work. Coercion is the wrong method and populist arguments
> are the wrong tool.  You have to persuade the decision-makers, and to
> do that you have to understand how they prioritize and think.   The
> art of persuasion is a subtle science. It's brain surgery, not to be
> performed with the hammer or rhetoric or with the pitchforks and
> torches  of populist appeal.   You have to crawl inside the heads of
> the people whose minds you are looking to change, and think like them.

So what about simple logic:
The companies with big budgets already performed the due diligence that
no one here is willing to do - and we can see they all made the same choice.

How about simplicity:  You already know how to open one browser window.
  If you want two for drag/drop or copy/paste operations you don't need
to do anything different, just do it again.

How about horrible user interface: in the spatial mode you have to use
the middle mouse button all the time to get expected operation.  Where's
the middle mouse button on my laptop?

But the worst part about this mess is the way the change in the default
appeared in the first place.  You make it sound like the burden should
be on the people who want the current setting changed, but in fact it
should never have been permitted in the first place.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com