Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:09:54 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Can someone who likes (even tolerates) spatial mode describe why?  I'm
> completely baffled as to why anyone would prefer windows left open all
> over the place randomly instead of just explicitly opening ones yourself
> in places where you want them.  For me, it is _always_ extra work to
> close the unwanted windows compared to opening the ones I want.

You're not concentrating on the good features of spatial, just the
annoyances.  I liked spatial on the Mac for the way it put windows for
certain folders in predictable places.  That way muscle memory could
direct you to the proper place to go.

I seldom have or had multiple windows open.  Instead, I Shift-double
click to close the previous window when opening a new one.  Except when
I need to have two windows open for copying or moving.

The speed of spatial vs browser was one of the early selling points.
When I open a folder,  I want to see the folder ASAP.  I don't know if
that has remained an issue or if it's evened out, though.

Screen real estate is precious and I don't use most of the buttons on
the browser view.  Home, reload, up, computer, search, the places menu
on the left... all extraneous.

All this said, I don't use nautilus as a file manager very often.
Unlike MacOS and Windows where the GUI is the only optimized file
manager, the shell in *NIX is very friendly for file manipulation so I
tend to use it almost exclusively.

-Toshio