Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 20:32:12 UTC 2008

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> said:
>> Can you name one that concluded that splattering windows all over the
>> place for every directory you visit was a reasonable thing to do?
>
> You seem to have confused me with someone who cares which way this is
> set (I use xterm, ls, cp, and mv as my "file manager").
>
> In any case, the current value is already there, so changing it would
> require showing why the proposed change is better.

Huh?  Why has that suddenly become the case when it wasn't when the
change the other direction was made?

> Someone said that Nautilus in browser mode supports tabs now, which
> might be a legitimate improvement.  However, tabs are useless for
> drag-n-drop, so that doesn't improve over spatial mode.

I hate tabs in general unless they have tear-off mode because I
inevitably want to see two instances side by side and I can't.  Besides,
the window manager can collapse all your your instances into one task
bar item that pops up to let you pick among them like tabs anyway.  Why
should other applications need to duplicate that functionality?

> Personally, when I've used a GUI file manager, I preferred the Windows
> Explorer mode with two panes: left hand side is directories and right
> hand side is selected directory.  You can chose one directory and drag
> things from it to another directory, without having to have two (or
> more) windows open.

Or, if you do want two windows open for this operation (for when the
directories don't have a common parent), just open another window...

> I am in general against "change for the sake of change", "I'm louder so
> listen to me", and "a bunch of +1 == the way it should be".

I think many people are still outraged that the change to the current
default was an unjustified "change for the sake of change".  And in my
case it is still an unexpected shock because I regularly jump around
among different OS's.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com