Encrypted home directory

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:47:15 UTC 2008

2008/12/21 Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com>

> Sachin wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Can we have the feature of the encrypted the home directory with out of
> > the box experience.
> >
> > Ubuntu is planning for the next release. This is not real motivation.
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha2
>
> eCryptfs is still somewhat fragile at times; under constrained usecases
> it's reasonably ok but if you stray from that things can go badly...
> The stuff Ubuntu has done is interesting but I'm wondering if anyone
> there has really given the kernelspace side a good workout.  (I've
> worked on eCryptfs a lot, and it's pretty nifty, but there are still
> some kinks to work out).

encfs provides another solution, in userspace via fuse. On a glance it looks
like a good base for an equaliant feature, any thoughts?

I've been running using dm-crypt for a while now but it seems to me that
when all I have is some photos and documents I don't want to fall into the
wrong hands in case my machine is stolen, it's seems like overkill to
encrypt everything. Additionally it's some what cumbersome to have to unlock
the drive during boot. Another problem might be the performance hit of full
disk encryption on these low powered netbooks being unacceptable making
those a good target for a more lightweight solution?