[Fedora Update] [stable] fakeroot-1.11-19.fc8

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 23:58:13 UTC 2008

2008/12/21 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> Why is there a major version change (1.9.7 -> 1.11.19) going directly
> into stable on F8 (which has days to live) without any information for
> users what so ever that this update is providing.  Please provide some
> details for users and reconsider if this update is really suitable for
> F8.

I won't speak for Axel, and I'm not sure about F8 criteria - the pkgs
were put in updates-testing months ago. The old fakeroot has a nasty
race condition that leads to dataloss. The delta is a pileup of fixes,
no new features to speak of.

For some background, we had a good thread on this list - which I opened with

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Fedora 7, 8 and 9 are shipping a version of fakeroot that is affected
> by a somewhat nasty race condition.
>
> The bug was characterised here
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=381016 , and with
> trivial repo steps here
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=446351 . This bug was
> fixed in 1.8.2 - F7,8,9 ship 1.6.4.
>
> Hopefully, F9/F8 can get an updated version of the package included.
> Help and pointers welcome :-) If that's not possible, I will prepare a
> package for the school server and offer it here.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions