performance test by Phoronix

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 04:49:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:
> But since it's on the internets it must be true, and this kind of crap
> will be taken as the gospel truth for the next decade.  Sigh.
>
> Anyway, I don't put much stock in phoronix test reports at this point.

We may not be able to do anything about this benchmark. But in general
I think its good to be public about methodology.  I think its
perfectly appropriate for someone to write up an independent effort to
verify phoronix results, showing what is different, what they did
wrong, and drawing some conclusions about pitfalls to avoid in
general.  No single benchmarks from a single source should ever be
trusted.

Getting an established set of best practices for benchmarking efforts
out there for the laypress to follow..and consistently banging the
drum to encourage the laypress to use those best practices will help
everyone in the long run.

-jef