New font packaging guidelines

Sarantis Paskalis paskalis at di.uoa.gr
Mon Dec 22 12:56:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 05:13:35PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As some of you may know, after more than a month of consultation,
> feedback and tweaking new font packaging guidelines have been approved
> by FESCO.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Fonts_packaging_automation_(2008-11-18)
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_fonts_policy_package
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Simple_fonts_spec_template
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fonts_spec_template_for_multiple_fonts
>
> New font packages in review must now conform to the new templates, and
> current packages be converted in rawhide by their maintainers. To track
> the conversion progress I will henceforth file tickets in bugzilla.

Hello,

Two of my packages are TeX fonts (tetex-font-kerkis and
tetex-font-cm-lgc), which contain .pfb files (postscript type 1 from
what I could find out).

My questions are:
- Should I place the .pfb files   ( e.g.
  /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/kerkis/Kerkis-Bold.pfb)
  in /usr/share/fonts/kerkis/ and symlink them to their old (original)
  place or the reverse.
- What about the other TeX relevant files?  Should I do something with
  them or are they indifferent to the rest of the system.

If there is an example TeX font package switched to the new format, it
is not obvious from the package names.

Please advise.

Thanks,

-- Sarantis