rawhide report: 20081223 changes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 24 17:43:29 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> said:
> On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 16:05 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 20:22 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > What's the benefit of using a particular non-standard math symbol in the
> > > spec file? It just makes it unreadable for a lot of people.  This is not
> > > some kind of sport.
> >
> > Right, I think I can summarise this thread by saying that the vast
> > majority of people want Nicholas to use - as the bullet like everyone
> > else.
>
> Noisy minority fallacy.

In this particular case, I wouldn't necessarily say it is a minority.
It might be a majority of the people that regularly read changelog
entries that are complaining.

There is a de facto standard: use a "-" (ASCII 0x2D) as the "bullet" in
a RPM spec file changelog entry.  Is there any valid reason to use
anything else (especially characters that most people won't even be able
to see)?  Does there have to be a defined standard for every little
thing, or can people just exercise a little common sense and follow the
common practice (unless there is a good reason to do otherwise)?

This whole thing seems a little childish to me.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>