Updates to F8 (was: [Fedora Update] [stable] fakeroot-1.11-19.fc8)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 25 10:58:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 08:37:11AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 15:46 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> A link to where you can find the upstream release notes would actually
> help here.

Indeed, but the project doesn't provide anything useful in that
respect. It is quite astonishing, that some intergral tools in the
Debian toolchain have rather litte public interfaces.

> > Otherwise we should consider an offcial two phase support scheme where
> > functionality/enhancements/minor bugs are phased out earlier than the
> > final EOL. That way packagers would have a target line of what makes
> > sense to backpackage and when to not. Currently everyone draws this
> > line arbitrary from the release of the next Fedora release to the
> > actual EOL date.
>
> I support the general idea of this, a loose guideline, letting
> maintainers make their own judgment.

Probably the most important part is where to set this fuzzy date
between full support and maintenance support, so packagers have a
common notion of when to stop pushing updates to certain releases.

> Thanks for that.  One thing you didn't address though, why is this going
> directly to stable?

Previous updates (not only for fakeroot) showed that there isn't much
happening in testing, I have to do most of the testing locally or with
direct coordination with the other interested parties. Adding that a
later push from testing to stable a few days before EOL would be even
more alarming I became stable-trigger-happy. Turns out to be a bad
thing as any modification requests to bodhi (like ones resulting from
this thread) didn't get a chance to be molded in. I'll get back to
normal testing/stable procedures (I get more often complaints that the
packages remain too long in stable, now i ballanced it off :).

Happy Xmas!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net