FHS violations

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 1 20:58:29 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Contrary to that, package "spu-binutils" creates directories
>
>   /spu
>   /usr/spu
>
> which is a violation of the FHS. And I've been told there are more
> packages that do something similar.

It's a cross-toolchain. Using a directory like this is the established
practice for GNU cross-toolchains (and also used by some other
cross-toolchains) and the consensus among Fedora packagers working on
cross-compilation is that this is the way to go. Unfortunately, the
guideline which was supposed to formally codify it never made it to an FPC
vote because of process issues.

        Kevin Kofler