looking for inotifywait and similar help

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Dec 2 23:30:31 UTC 2008

Hello,

Trying to have fcron do the same than cronie, that is regenerate
binary crontabs when /etc/crontab /etc/cron.d/ (or /etc/fcrontab since it
is the same, but for fcron) change, I made a script to watch for
/etc/cron.d/ and /etc/crontab and /etc/fcrontab if they exist (and then
launch a script coming from debian that does all the regeneration work).
However the issue I have is that I don't know how to have inotifywait do
something when /etc/crontab or /etc/fcrontab is created since if I give
a non-existing file as argument it will error out.

Also maybe I should not listen to all the events but only some.

And lastly maybe inotifywait is not the right tool?

The script is here:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/fcron/devel/fcron_watch_config?revision=1.2&view=markup

It is launched by an init script through another script,
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/fcron/devel/daemon_fcron_watch_config?revision=1.2&view=markup
that doesn't do anything else that starting it with setsid.

Anybody knows what I should do?

--
Pat