Server SIG - work areas

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:15:07 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>>  - work on the TUI counterparts of GUI system-config-* tools, should go
>> in hand with the backend/frontend separation
>
> Just thinking aloud: By "TUI" you mean command line apps with a
> interactive, ncurses-like interface?
>
> Are those really worth the work? I for one (and a lot of other linux
> users I know) either use graphical configuration Tools (with or without
> remote forwarding) or (if there is no graphical environment or in
> scripts) simple command line configuration tools (without an interactive
> interface) -- I doubt a third way in the middle (and a second one for
> text mode configuration) makes much sense. Improving some of the command
> line configuration tools (those without an interactive interface) OTOH
> might.
>
> But well, maybe that just my odd point of view.

Having x libs installed and running remotely probably isn't a big deal
for most servers, but it does add a lot more gunk to keep updated.
However, if there are not text mode alternatives for all of the
system-config-* tools, all of the magic they do needs to be documented
to the point that everyone can manage with equivalent edits to the
underlying config files and snippets under /etc/sysconfig.  That is, it
should be feasible for someone to manually manage a machine initially
following such documentation, then later choose to use yum to pull in
the GUI tools and have them find all of the settings in the right places.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com