Runlevels after F10 install

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 22:11:26 UTC 2008

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> Not sure if this who to report this to or how to view it, but wanted
> to share this experience.
>
> I installed F10 x86_64 on a machine for work. I wanted a minimal X11
> environment, so I opted to install just WindowMaker and no desktop
> environment like Gnome. No errors occurred, install completed
> successfully.
>
> On firstboot I was greeted with the text-mode setup utility to
> configure firewall, networking, etc. I thought this odd, but went
> with it. After completing setup, I was in run level 3. Checking I
> realized no display manager were installed, nor was X. So I
> installed both.
>
> Here are the issues. Doing a groupinstall for X did not prompt me
> for or change my default runlevel to 5. So I had to manually edit
> /etc/inittab to set it to 5. That's when the other issue popped up:
> no services were configured for runlevel 5. Networking, httpd, etc.
> all shut down when things booted. X displayed during boot but, when
> the system went to runlevel 5, everything else shut down.
>
> Shouldn't installing X make runlevel 5 the default?
>
> And, even if we don't install X, why should't services toggle their
> runlevel 5 state?

Very Bad Things happen when packages mess with files they don't own, so it's not
a bug that installing an X server didn't change your default runlevel.  It's
also not a bug that WindowMaker didn't pull in a display manager, since
lightweight window managers are often used remotely on headless servers, which
we don't want anaconda configuring for runlevel 5 by default.

The services problem is definitely a bug though.

-- Chris