Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Dec 4 07:28:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 20:45 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > As a developer, maintainer and/or packager you normally want to see what
> > the tools are doing, e.g. if the compiler has received the correct
> > flags, is using the correct libraries etc.
>
> Sure, but I care about that once in a great while.
Very likely because your use-cases are trivial.

> Of course, I like my percentage progress (a LOT, in big projects) also.
I am well aware that some people prefer watching progress bars, instead
of watching bugs ... the rationale for doing so has always escaped me.

> Maybe because I actually watch what my builds are doing as opposed to
> *only* inspecting the log when it finishes. Plus, I challenge you to
> argue that it isn't friendlier for casual end-users :-).
Please read what I previously wrote.

I don't deny that cmake is easier to get into in trivial use-cases, but
cmake very soon loose its "initial" advantages when things become a
little less trivial.