starting a service if a subpackage is installed

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Dec 5 17:11:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:54:22AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Just rely on admin configuration, like is done for every other
> service.

Not for all the services. Local system services are automatically
enabled, like crond (and messagebus, lm_sensors...). I would like
to do the same, but conditional on a package being installed. That way
it is possible to have cronie started in the default case and fcron
installed but activated by the admin (install cronie, fcron but not
fcron-startup). Or no cronie but fcron started automatically (install
fcron and fcron-startup).

The other possibility is to have fcron started automatically, including
the part that watch changes in config and automatically update spool
fcron tables, but I'd like to avoid that.

--
Pat