The looming Python 3(000) monster

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 5 20:21:47 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:
>  We also have _much less_ resources dedicated to python than we do GCC.
>  My guess is that if a second python is proposed for py3k, it'll get
> voted down again.

I think migrating without shipping parallel versions of Python at any point
is a completely unrealistic dream. Just look at how many packages still
depend on qt3 and kdelibs3, and how there are still packages depending on
gtk+-1.2 even when plans for GTK+ 3 are already ongoing. We have no reason
to believe Python will be any different.

        Kevin Kofler