The looming Python 3(000) monster

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 5 20:29:36 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:
> The API is very similar and uses the same shared library
> name ... so what do you do about all the C programs that link with
> libpython?
>
> repoquery --whatrequires 'libpython2.5.so.*'

The same thing we do about kdelibs3 and kdelibs 4 coexisting: move one (or
both) of the 2 conflicting -devel symlinks to a subdirectory of the libdir
and have the dependent packages use -L flags.

But is there even a conflict at all? libpython2.5.so != libpython3.0.so.

And if there is one, maybe try to get upstream to fix it?

> ...are you going to offer two versions of rhythmbox?

But Python is not an application, it's a programming language and a set of
libraries. Shipping 2 versions of an application doesn't make much sense
(and in fact we don't do that for KDE 3 and 4), but libraries (e.g.
kdelibs3/kdelibs4) and programming languages are different. Getting
everything which depends on the library/language ported at the same time is
almost always infeasible for incompatible versions.

        Kevin Kofler