Seahorse is orphaned?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 14:01:08 UTC 2008

>> On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 16:45 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
>>> I just noticed that the 'seahorse' package is orphaned [1] although
>>> Matthias and others seem to be taking care of it for some time. So is
>>> the package really orphaned or is this just an oversight?
>>>

>> Hmm, funny. I've asked Tomas Bzatek to take it. He's the maintainer of
>> gnome-keyring-manager, and we are going to obsolete g-k-m in favour of
>> seahorse anyway...
>>

>> Matthias
>>

> Would it be possible to get a name-change on seahorse? It's a great
> utility, but the name "seahorse" doesn't do anything at all to indicate
> what the program does.
>
> If a user is looking for a way to manage their keyring, how would they
> ever know to install a package called "seahorse"?
>
> Is there a really compelling reason why it couldn't just be renamed to
> something like gnome-keyring2?

I guess that a rename would need to be taken upstream. I don't see why
it can't have a description like Transmission or any of the others do
in the .desktop to make it more descriptive. Transmission is listed as
"Transmission Bittorrent client". So you could make it "Seahorse
password and encrpytion manager" or something.

Peter