use fcron as default scheduler in Fedora?

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Dec 8 21:35:13 UTC 2008

On 12/08/2008 09:32 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> If there is none, it uses /bin/vi. In fact I have sone a bit of
>> investigations and it uses, in pathnames.h _PATH_VI which is defined in
>> /usr/invlude/paths.h.
>>
>> So it is a missing dependency, in my opinion.
>
> No it's not. People may want to use an actually usable editor and not have
> their system polluted with this relict of history.
>
> I guess I should file bugs against cvs, sudo and fcron which all have
> unnecessary Requires on vim-minimal.

That's probably a good idea not so much because vi is a "relic of history"
but simply because it's not a good idea to require a specific editor simply
because the package contains a config file. Virtually every app out there
contains config files so imagine if all of them depended on the editor of
the package maintainers choice. If at all then the dependency should be a
virtual one so the user can choose to install his/her prefered editor.

Regards,
   Dennis