use fcron as default scheduler in Fedora?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Dec 8 21:42:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 10:35:13PM +0100, Dennis J. wrote:
> On 12/08/2008 09:32 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>>> If there is none, it uses /bin/vi. In fact I have sone a bit of
>>> investigations and it uses, in pathnames.h _PATH_VI which is defined in
>>> /usr/invlude/paths.h.
>>>
>>> So it is a missing dependency, in my opinion.
>>
>> No it's not. People may want to use an actually usable editor and not have
>> their system polluted with this relict of history.
>>
>> I guess I should file bugs against cvs, sudo and fcron which all have
>> unnecessary Requires on vim-minimal.
>
> That's probably a good idea not so much because vi is a "relic of
> history" but simply because it's not a good idea to require a specific
> editor simply because the package contains a config file. Virtually every
> app out there contains config files so imagine if all of them depended on
> the editor of the package maintainers choice. If at all then the
> dependency should be a virtual one so the user can choose to install
> his/her prefered editor.

Those application have vi as a fallback default because they call it
somehow (at least fcrontab in fcron). I guess it is also the case of
sudoedit, and I also guess that it is the fallback for cvs commit
messages too. So those packages doesn't 'require a specific  editor
simply because the package contains a config file'. They call, at
runtime an editor specified by the EDITOR env variable and fallback to
vi.

--
Pat