use fcron as default scheduler in Fedora?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Dec 8 23:20:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 02:12:57PM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > This is in order to always have a fallback. Anybody can use anything as
> > EDITOR, but one has to have a default. vi is not a bad choice, it is
> > POSIX, unless I am not recalling correctly, and it is small.
>

> Should all possible fallbacks be hard requirements? Isn't it better to

No, the rule should just be about things working, as a rule of thumb,
and depending on the package, either in a chroot, or together with
@core (with exception for package that have too much possible
requirements, like fonts needed by some packages).

> have a number of competing packages provide an editor and provide a
> virtual editor provides, have one of those installed editors set as
> the default system editor via the EDITOR variable and then have all
> packages which need an editor require the virtual editor provides
> instead of a specific editor?
>
> That way anyone can build a spin or do an install using any
> appropriate available editor package which provides the editor virtual
> provides as policy and tastes dictate.

Indeed, this would be possible, and certainly preferrable. Though in
general using the environment like is asking for trouble, this is what
is in upstream currently.

--
Pat