use fcron as default scheduler in Fedora?

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 02:13:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
>> This is in order to always have a fallback. Anybody can use anything as
>> EDITOR, but one has to have a default. vi is not a bad choice, it is
>> POSIX, unless I am not recalling correctly, and it is small.
>

> Should all possible fallbacks be hard requirements? Isn't it better to
> have a number of competing packages provide an editor and provide a
> virtual editor provides, have one of those installed editors set as
> the default system editor via the EDITOR variable and then have all
> packages which need an editor require the virtual editor provides
> instead of a specific editor?
>
> That way anyone can build a spin or do an install using any
> appropriate available editor package which provides the editor virtual
> provides as policy and tastes dictate.
>
> -jef
>
> --

Hmm, sounds familiar... oh, right, the alternatives man page.

       It is possible for several programs  fulfilling  the  same  or  similar
       functions  to  be  installed  on a single system at the same time.  For
       example, many systems have several  text  editors  installed  at  once.
       This gives choice to the users of a system, allowing each to use a dif-
       ferent editor, if desired, but makes it difficult for a program to make
       a  good choice of editor to invoke if the user has not specified a par-
       ticular preference.

       The alternatives system aims to solve this problem.

jerry

--
Store in cool, dry place. Rotate stock.