Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 09:49:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 04:55:33 +0100, Kevin wrote:

> I think we need to be more careful with certain types of security updates,
> and better let them get some QA even if it means the fix gets delayed.

QA ... reminds me to ask once more:

Where can I learn more about the thing referred to as "Fedora QA"?
Who is it? What do they do?

fedora-qa-list is dead since Aug 2007 and has never seen more than
IRC meeting announcements.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/QA  is in a desolate state and seems
not to be connected to the people that call themselves "Fedora QA".

Fedora has a serious problem with updates that are pushed out to "stable"
directly. Originally we've had a guideline to use updates-testing for
a few days.

I'm also surprised to find discrepancies between Rawhide (just 1-2 weeks
before F10 release) and F10 final. Such as a non-working PulseAudio.
After every reboot, the mixer settings get messed up. Sometimes the
PulseAudio mixer is not available at all. And worse, simple playback of
audio files in Rhythmbox and Audacious (or even previews on the desktop)
suffer from interruptions. Not so in earlier Rawhide. The pulseaudio
changelog is not included in the package, and the RPM %changelog
contains vague comments like:

  - Backport another two fixes from current git master
  - Backport another fix from current git master
  - Backport a couple of fixes from current git master