Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Dec 9 14:12:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 12:25:54PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:02:30 +0100, Patrice wrote:
>
> > Sometime it is better to push directly to stable, when the package is
> > already broken, when it is a security fix,
>
> ... and if you find out that dependencies are broken because of a rushed
> update, you need to wait a day before the problem can be corrected with
> the next time-consuming push. It's better to prevent issues like that. We
> currently can check remote repositories. Contrary to the FUD spread by
> some people, plain repoclosure doesn't run for hours. For stuff released
> into the "stable" repo it would be too late, however.

I agree, I think that some QA should already be done even if pushes are
long, but in an automated way.

> > or for packages with few users.
>
> ... which have even less reason to be pushed to "stable" quickly rather
> than spending a few days in updates-testing first. :) Even such packages
> can cause chaos and disturb SONAME Provides, for example. Recently, we've
> had a case where an update accidentally obsoleted packages in a different
> namespace. Or watch this one: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/473182

Fully agreed. That's why I think that multiple obsolete and provides
should be catched automatically. But I don't think that much more QA is
needed. In my opinion checking missing deps, mutiple
provides/obsoletes, unattended conflicts and n-ver should be done
automaticaly and block autoamtically packages (with a whitelist for
provides/obsoletes that are meant to be shared). But otherwise how
testing is done and how bodhi is used should be left to the packagers.

> I know you'd like to be able to push to repositories immediately
> without any release management, but for Fedora's users that would be
> one step closer to the infamous dumping ground of packages.

That's not my opinion. I think that packagers should be able to chose
what suits their userbase better, taking into account fedora as a whole.
In most cases I left the updates sit in bodhi until I get the automatic
mail.

As a side note, I don't think that the dumping ground effect is that
much linked with the number of days in bodhi, rather to uncareful
packagers and lack of consideration for integration, uncareful use of
unstable upstream and push from rawhide too early.

--
Pat