The looming Python 3(000) monster

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 14:27:29 UTC 2008

> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> > This is not a comparable scenario. The new GCC releases are identifying
> > bugs which always existed in your code, not changing the language. As
> > such once you fix the bugs, your code continues to work on old & new
> > GCC just fine.
>
> It is not the exact same scenaro but we are talking about backward
> compatibility of languages in general. If new GCC breaks my C code or a
> new Python interpretor breaks my python code, it is still breaking what
> was working before. C specification is not breakfast reading so almost
> everybody just go with what a compiler like GCC supports.
>
> Isn't a similar situation responsible for
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F10_bugs#DNS_Resolver_not_Reliable

I hope you realize the difference between a few programs not *compiling*
anymore, but that keep working no problem.
And *all* programs not running, until you fix them, *and* all the
modules not yet converted you depend on, including C bindings which are
not exactly breakfast coding for python programmers...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York