Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 15:43:33 UTC 2008

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> For a developer to be able to test his code he needs to test on all
> possible scenarios
> hw and sw related repeated times the n option ( if any ) his application
> can do.

That's too idealistic. Developers should develop as well as test to the
extend it is feasible.

> It STILL would fall into the hands of the QA to double check if he/they
> missed something..

Sure but like I said, this is a complimentary effort.

> If the blame belongs somewhere than it is with the QA to have released
> it to the end user in > the first place and THAT'S what I'm aiming at improving taking the QA on
> the QA :) > but it will take time!.

The responsibility isn't just with the QA team. It is primarily with the
developers. QA is just helping. I applaud your efforts to improve that
team but don't assume blame for everything.

> But I do agree with you that it would help if he/they have
> updates-testing enabled to test their
> component that is if they are actually developing and using it on Fedora
> GA release..

It would also help, if people didn't just bypass the testing repository
altogether even for security updates as the dbus security update fiasco
has just taught us, yet again.

> In reality we need more devs..

Yeah, we need more of everything.

Rahul