What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:25:29 UTC 2008

2008/12/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 18:22 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> One way or another, if I were building a distribution that wanted to
>> simultaneously claim that it is both new code and 'tested and working',
>> I'd try to plan in a way that it wasn't a flip of the coin on every
>> machine which you'll get today.
>
> Now here's a crazy idea, that nobody seems to want to follow:
>
> Treat rawhide as your 'new code' land, leave the release trees as your
> 'testing and working' code.  That is don't be so goddamn eager to push
> new packages and new upstream releases to every freaking branch in
> existence.
>
> Of course, when I make suggestions like these, I become extremely
> unpopular.

Not to me. +1

Regarding +/-,
Can new packages default accordingly?
+1 rawhide
 0 testing
-1 stable

(or, +2, 0, -2... you get the idea)

Then, the voting system does what it's supposed to do!!!
Maybe analogous to pkg submitter, sponsor, review, etc - other sets of
eyes, taking ownership of action....

In other words, push back some of the "goddamn" ownership where it
belows, instead of the front-end where testers and **end-users** have
to do cart-wheels to fix things.
And, don't start crying, "aww, we just don't have time..."
boo-f*(&ing-hoo. Neither do the rest of us.
But, working together, the system should balance itself - when the
votes happen it's a good package, when they don't it means, go figure,
more testing needs to be done, and help should be requested
accordingly.

See the efficiency there? The few request help *forward*, rather than
the masses, in a panic, requesting help *backwards*...

jerry

p.s. I only started those sentences with conjunctions for the sake of
time. Please don't try this at home! :-)
--
Store in cool, dry place. Rotate stock.