Making updates-testing more useful

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 17:35:49 UTC 2008

I have an F10 installation, and have updates-testing enabled, but I
almost never give any feedback in bodhi, because it is fairly hard to
keep track of what updates are installed, which of them are in testing,
etc.

I think we could make updates-testing much more useful if we had a tiny
bit of PackageKit integration. Basically, PackageKit should know that
these are testing updates, and should ask me 'There are ... package
updates available that need testing. Do you want to test these now ?'
For extra points, we could even show a 'report back' link somewhere that
allows to send comments to bodhi.

Of course, this has to be implemented in a suitably distibution-neutral
way to be integrated in PackageKit, but I think test updates are a
sufficiently general concept that PackageKit should support.

What do you think ?

Matthias