Making updates-testing more useful

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 18:54:30 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 12:35 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> I have an F10 installation, and have updates-testing enabled, but I
>> almost never give any feedback in bodhi, because it is fairly hard to
>> keep track of what updates are installed, which of them are in testing,
>> etc.
>
> +1, same reason, cept for the pain of sometimes a breakage that hate
> dealing with.
>
>> I think we could make updates-testing much more useful if we had a tiny
>> bit of PackageKit integration. Basically, PackageKit should know that
>> these are testing updates, and should ask me 'There are ... package
>> updates available that need testing. Do you want to test these now ?'
>> For extra points, we could even show a 'report back' link somewhere that
>> allows to send comments to bodhi.
>

> What are general thoughts on how this would work?  You get the testing
> updates, install/update, run them, then click on some GUI and enter
> comments to be submitted to Bodhi?
>
> And I guess (not to get too detailed into something not created yet)
> those updates would stay polluted in the GUI until you make a comment or
> remove it yourself (this would help show what you have left to comment
> on so you can remember)?

Could there be a way to throw everything in the same repo and give the
user/installer a choice of how 'well-tested' something should be before
installing it?  Preferably with a sliding scale instead of just 2
choices.  Normally on new installs and machines used explicitly for
testing I'd expect people to want the latest changes but become more
conservative on machines that are working well and used for important
work.  The 'well-tested' concept might have factors for age, feedback,
emergency overrides, etc.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com