What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Iain Arnell iarnell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:17:54 UTC 2008

2008/12/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> Treat rawhide as your 'new code' land, leave the release trees as your
> 'testing and working' code.  That is don't be so goddamn eager to push
> new packages and new upstream releases to every freaking branch in
> existence.
>
> Of course, when I make suggestions like these, I become extremely
> unpopular.

doubleplusgood

As a recently sponsored contributor, I would suggest changing the
documented procedures.  I was more than happy to shove new packages
into rawhide only, but when confronted with
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CVSAdminProcedure
felt obliged to request branches for F-9 and F-10 too (and pressure
during review to support EPEL too only adds to the problem).

Requests for new packages should only be permitted in rawhide by
default (and consequently, EPEL+1 whenever and whatever that may be).
Some form of additional review/sponsorship/bribery should be a
prerequisite for branches in already-released version.

--
Iain.